Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I'm feeling a bit frustrated with this whole job situation.
On one hand, I feel that the work I will be doing here at NCHP provides an avenue to be able to reach the entire country, and that's huge. On the other hand, I feel like I'm back to the 9-5 job back home. I never expeceted my Peace Corps job to include computers, much less available internet. It's not that I'm complaining, its just sometimes i just want to paint murals or work with women on their handicrafts or build a playground, or find an orphanage and start a workshop. I feel like the work i'm doing is not as hands-on as i expected it to be.
I work in Tamavua, a village located about 15-20 bus ride from Suva. The Fiji School of Medicine and the Fiji School of Nursing are both adjacent to my building, as is the stroke rehabilitation center. My counterpart's name is Komai, he is from an island named Gau. People here call him "Ratu" which means chief. I think he might have been a chief in his village. My friend Katie is serving in Gau. She and Tui (her mangey village dog) were just in Suva re-stocking on food and supplies and stayed with us for a few days. She said the villagers eat dog in Gau.
I wonder what dog tastes like. Hopefully they won't eat Tui.
I also work with a Tongan guy, Vilisoni, we call him Sony. He's on attachment from the Ministry of Health in Tonga. He came to NCHP to learn how to use design software. So far, I've made that my priority. I've been teaching him Photoshop and we'll move on to Illustrator and InDesign before he leaves back for Tonga in November. He's a really cool guy, an incredible artist. He's also a tattoo artist, did some work on another volunteer friend of mine, jenny. I'm contemplating on weather or not i want to get a tattoo from him before he leaves. He says when I travel through Tonga I can stay with him and his family. I would love to visit Tonga.
I also work with Tomasi, he's the lead designer at the center. Although he's had formal training on design software, There is still that aesthetic element missing on a lot of his work. I find that I feel awkard when I build my posters because they are so different from all the work he does. So i've been bringing in a bunch of magazines, different examples of more contemporary design ideas... It seems like Tomasi will be harder to get through to... He seems stuck in his ways. But he's a nice guy, he's always blasting music from his computer. He sings to Fijian Gospel at the top of his lungs, or SIngs along to the Lion King Soundtrack. WTF!? It's actually hilarious.
So far I've designed a Mental Health Brochure, a Diabetes Poster and fact card, a logo for "AGLOW" the organization my friend Rob is working with, and 3 posters for Accident and Injury prevention (Road Accidents, Drowning, and Sports Injuries) All of these things, (except for the aglow logo) are still pending. I think my frustration comes from the slow-ness of the process for getting anything done here. Everyone says they'll get back to me for approval on these things, but they never do. So basically everything I've done is still sitting in a pile, not moving forward. It's just frustrating to want to be done with something, but instead i have a million unfinished things, waiting for approval to go to press. I guess it's not that bad, I still come to work everyday and most of the time I just have tea, hang out and chat it up with the staff. I'm really looking forward to my Secondary Project, I can't wait to get my hands on some paint and go out and paint some murals with some suva kids.... more on that later.

2 comments:

laminar_flow said...

You go girl. Consider your blog linked.

Anonymous said...

I can see the fustration in the whole 9-5 thing, but consider it a learning curve. Never be ashamed or timid to express your art, think of it as why you are working this job, to expand the imagination of others... Well your birthday is only a few days away and I wish I could jump on a plane and be there to celebrate your 25th cause it's oh so big!!!!
Missing you oh so much........

Love ya
jilly~