Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The KLF expansion launch took place at the end of April in Nausori. It had been my intention to end my service right after the retreat. After all, Kids Link is the only reason I stayed in Fiji as long as I did. I wanted to make sure KLF in Savusavu was sustainable before i left and I was planning on finishing up with a bang, attempting to end my service on a high note. Unfortunately, beaurocracy got in the way... Peace Corps found out that my bags were packed, (even though i was still working at the retreat) and I was forced to leave my kids early, so that Peace Corps could process me and get me out of the country as soon as possible. I asked to stay for one more day, so that I could finish off the retreat with my kids and be there for the launching of the expansion we worked so hard for. After pleading my case with acting (acting being the key word) country director, I was denied and forced to leave my kids and the retreat early. I still don't understand why they wouldnt let me stay for one more day to finish up my project... after all, i had given them hundreds of days of service... Luckily, the office of special services in Washington intervened and I was allowed to attend the KLF expansion Launch before flying home. I am still distraught and drained by the whole experience... I didn't even get a "thank you" from Peace Corps after my two years of service. But regardless of what happened, I'm so thankful for the relationships I built with my kids, my local friends, my Fijian family and fellow volunteers. I'm proud of the work I accomplished and I'm forever endebted to Fiji for giving me one of the best experiences of my life.

Here are some pictures of the retreat...


Pete, Lora, Ateca, Lucy and Pate.. 5 of my favorite kids ever


On our way to the wharf

Care, Eddie and I took our kids on a night out on the town...


Bush kids in the big city....


Group presentation

Awesome public speaking skills by Pate


Cake-cutting ceremony, Launching of KLF!!


Teary-eyed kids... Goodbyes are hard

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey KIDS LINK FIJI had a childrens forum recently. so savusavu mmbrs came to suva once again.....

im jeshu from suva team btw. (jeshu_506@yahoo.com)

KLFsuva is workin on an animation project so ws doin some googling on KLF and found ur blog.!

nice pics.

KLF
lil sounds out loud!
mocez!